Monday, March 1, 2010

Cable Guise

Cable Guise




Got my cable installed today at casa de separate’. I’m lying there on my friends old King size bed (it has no sheets yet and my skin cringes as it touches the polyester surface, I thought you would want to know), The cable guy was there for about an hour or so and as he was leaving I had a strange instinct to ask him…”hey, what’s the rush, c’mon stay a while”. It hit me how lonely this has the potential to be. When I came home, or I guess I need to change the connotation of “home” now, when I came back to Old Greenwich to pick up my son from school, I got a call from my wife, asking how I was doing. I told her it was a bit strange and lonely, and she said she thought she would feel that when she occasionally stayed there. I then informed her she would never know this feeling, because she would be a guest there, like in a bed and breakfast, and in fact she would most probably love getting away from the kids once a week in a little cottage. Who wouldn’t? But it’s not like that for me; I’m gonna be fucking living there. So I have to wonder where this is really headed. I think they call it the best of both worlds. She gets to have me around when needed, or even wanted, but she doesn’t have to deal with all other bullshit in marriage, and I get that too, but she gets to STAY HOME. Throw in the added benefit of no sex which, as we all know, is easier for women, especially women who don’t love you anymore, or should I be more accurate, not IN love with you.
I remember the day that bomb was dropped. We were headed home from visiting friends in Sharon Connecticut, and I sensed something wrong with my passenger. I asked what was wrong and she said, as she always does, nothing. But that day there was something more. Something right at the surface. So I pushed. And boy it came up out of the water and kept going like a tactical nuke being launched from a Sub. She said she was not happy. And she wanted more. She wanted to feel passion again. Naturally, I asked, what 17 year marriage has passion? She said that didn’t matter and that it was what she needed. So I said, what are you saying? And then, the words came. I love you; I’m just not IN love with you.
Thus began the terrible campaign in the war against commitment.

No comments:

Post a Comment